|About the Authors
Stories of Medicine in Athens County, Ohio
a multi-authored anthology compiled and edited by
Gary E. Cordingley, M.D., Ph.D.
Allan Akins Baldwin, M.D. (1911–1996), was born in Lorain, Ohio, and attended Western
Reserve University (1928–1929) and Northwestern University (1929–1931) before entering the
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine from which he graduated in 1935. After an internship
at Youngstown (Ohio) Hospital he practiced general medicine in Wellington, Ohio, and in West
Virginia prior to his arrival in Athens County in 1941, where he continued a general practice.
Between 1949 and 1951 he received advanced training in pediatrics at the Children’s Hospital
and City Hospital in St. Louis. Subsequently he returned to Athens and practiced pediatrics until
1973, when he accepted a staff position with Ohio University’s Student Health Services.
Wolfhard Baumgaertel, M.D. (1922– ), was born in Kongsberge, Germany, grew up in
Lithuania, and then graduated from a German boarding school in 1939. Subsequently, he
served in the German Air Force, seeing action in France and Africa until 1942, when he was
given leave to study medicine in Wurzburg. His studies were interrupted by further military
service on the western front, where he was captured and imprisoned by advancing American
forces. After a year of work as a medic in French POW hospitals, he was discharged and
resumed medical studies, first in Frankfurt and then at the University of Wurzburg from which he
graduated in 1949. He completed an internship in internal medicine at the Julius Hospital in
Wurzburg in 1950 and a surgical internship at Wurzburg’s University Hospital in 1951. After
working as a physician for the occupying U.S. 18th Infantry Regiment, he immigrated to New
York in 1952. He accepted a position as staff physician at the Nassau County Tuberculosis
Hospital in Farmingdale, Long Island, followed by a rotating internship in Glencove General
Hospital, also in Long Island. In 1954 he began work as a staff physician at the Athens State
Hospital and in 1955 he started a solo practice of general medicine in Albany, which he
continued until 2000. He opened a second office in The Plains in the late 1970s, which he
maintained until 1998. In retirement he still resides in Albany, operating a farm.
Robert Erle Butts, D.O. (1917–2003), was born in Chauncey, Ohio, and moved to Nelsonville
in 1923, graduating from Nelsonville High School in 1935. After attending Ohio University, he
transferred to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kirksville, Missouri, from which he
graduated in 1940. He completed an internship at Doctors Hospital of Columbus and then
practiced general medicine in Sistersville, West Virginia, followed by almost four years of service
in the U.S. Army’s medical detachment in Mississippi and Berlin, Germany. Returning to Athens
County in 1947, he entered medical practice in Nelsonville initially with Lorenzo Butts, D.O., his
older brother. Robert Butts was elected coroner of Athens County in 1964 and served in that
position until 1996, having ended his office practice in 1987.
Richard Fred Castrop, M.H.A. (1950– ) was born in Columbus, Ohio. He graduated from the
University of Dayton in 1972 with a B.S. in business administration and a major in marketing.
Before entering graduate school, he worked in the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Department of Dayton’s Miami Valley Hospital as a transportation attendant and orderly. In 1977
he graduated from Xavier University in Cincinnati with a master’s degree in hospital
administration and, as part of his training, served an administrative residency in clinical and
support services at Mount Carmel Medical Center in Columbus. Later that year he was hired as
assistant executive director at O’Bleness Memorial Hospital. In 1979 the hospital’s board
promoted him to the position of executive director, and at the age of 29 he became the youngest
chief executive officer of any hospital in Ohio. He has continued to serve in this capacity through
the present time and presided over a financial reorganization and multiple expansion projects. In
2005, with the consent and encouragement of the staff, union and community, the hospital’s
board named a newly completed surgery center and medical office building in his honor. In the
bicentennial year of 2005, Mr. Castrop was already the longest-serving CEO of any hospital in
Ohio. He served as a member of the board of trustees of the Ohio Hospital Association from
1999 to 2003.
John Stephen “Steve” Caul (1955– ) was born in Wooster, Ohio, moved to Athens in 1965
and graduated from Athens High School in 1973. He attended Miami University (Ohio) and Ohio
University from 1973 to 1979, and graduated from the latter with a bachelor’s degree in
anthropology and psychology. In 1978 he began work at the Athens State Hospital as a hospital
aide and is presently storekeeper supervisor at the same facility.
Harry Chovnick, M.D. (1917–2000), was born in Brooklyn, New York, and earned a
pharmaceutical degree at Columbia University College of Pharmacy. After working as an organic
chemist, he joined the army during World War II, conducted research at Wright Field near
Dayton, Ohio, and was discharged as a lieutenant. He graduated from the University of Geneva
School of Medicine in 1956. After an internship at Nassau Hospital on Long Island in 1957, he
affiliated with the psychiatry program at the Ohio State University College of Medicine in
Columbus as a resident trainee (1958–1963) and as a clinical instructor (1963–1966). He
worked at the Columbus State School for the Retarded and was director of its psychiatric unit
before moving to Athens in 1967. There, he was superintendent of Athens State Hospital until
1973. After two years as district manager for the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Mental
Retardation, he returned to the Athens state facility to serve as medical director in 1977 and
Lillian Kay Bowser Collins, B.S.N., R.N.C. (1952– ), was born in Athens and graduated from
Athens High School in 1970. She completed L.P.N. training at the Southeastern Ohio School of
Practical Nursing (Hocking Technical College, Nelsonville) in 1971 and R.N. training at Hocking
Technical College in 1980. She became certified in medical/surgical nursing in 1985. Supported
by a Betty Anastas Memorial Scholarship, she earned a B.S.N. at Ohio University in 1994,
graduating with honors. She began work at Sheltering Arms Hospital in 1969 and has worked
continuously at O’Bleness Memorial Hospital since the day it opened in 1970. She became
nurse-manager of its medical/surgical unit in 1992.
Gary Edward Cordingley, M.D., Ph.D. (1949– ) was born in Chicago. He graduated from
Purdue University with a B.S. in chemistry and biology in 1971 and from Duke University with a
Ph.D. in physiology and pharmacology in 1976 and an M.D. in 1977. After an internship in
internal medicine at the University of Michigan Hospitals in 1977 and 1978, he received
residency training at the Neurological Institute of Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New
York from 1978 to 1981. He performed research at the National Institutes of Health between
1981 and 1983. Since 1983 he has been a solo practitioner of neurology in Athens and a
teacher at the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, where he is an associate
professor. Between 1994 and 1997 he was president of the Ohio Academy of Medical History.
Charles Harry Creed Jr., M.D. (1885–1955), was born in Lancaster, Ohio, and graduated from
Starling-Ohio Medical College (a forerunner of Ohio State University College of Medicine) in
1911. He worked at the Gallipolis State Hospital and in private practice until 1918, when he
began employment at the Columbus State Hospital. He served as a lieutenant in the medical
corps from 1918 to 1919, and subsequently returned to the Columbus State Hospital as
assistant superintendent. He held that position until 1930, when he became chief of a new
Bureau of Examination and Classification at the Ohio State Penitentiary. He was appointed
superintendent of the Athens State Hospital in 1932, and at that facility he oversaw an extensive
building program that included a receiving hospital, power plant, physicians’ residences and
additions to wings of the main building to accommodate steady growth in numbers of patients.
He died of a heart attack while still superintendent.
Carl Jón Denbow, Ph.D. (1944– ), was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and in 1950 his family
moved to Athens, Ohio, where he attended Athens High School. He received a B.S.J. from Ohio
University in 1968, an M.A. (field of emphasis: journalism) from Ohio State University in 1969 and
a Ph.D. in journalism/mass communication from Ohio University in 1973. He held faculty
positions at Marshall University from 1970 to 1974, and Murray State University from 1974 to
1977. In 1978, after serving one year as the director of public relations at the Kirksville College
of Osteopathic Medicine in Missouri, he became director of communications at the Ohio
University College of Osteopathic Medicine, where he was responsible for the public relations
and publications efforts of the college. In September 2003 he retired from OUCOM and was re-
employed in November to serve as the project director for the nationally syndicated Family
Health® radio series and the regionally distributed Family Medicine® newspaper column.
Gertrude M. Douglas DeWeese (1908–1997) was born in Columbus, Ohio, and worked as a
psychiatric aide at Athens State Hospital. Her husband, George Albert DeWeese (1903–1994)
also worked as a psychiatric aide in the same facility.
Norma Reforsado Alvarez Flores, M.D. (1941– ), was born in Manila, the Philippines. She
graduated from the University of Santo Thomas School of Medicine (Manila) in 1964 and
completed a rotating internship in the Philippines. She undertook a second rotating internship at
Huron Hospital in Cleveland, followed by four years of residency training in family practice at
Saint John Hospital in Cleveland. She remained on the hospital’s staff from 1970 to 1973 and
then relocated to Nelsonville, where she practiced until retirement.
Reuben Cortez Flores, M.D. (1941– ), was born in San Fernando, the Philippines. He
graduated from the University of Santo Thomas School of Medicine (Manila) in 1964 and
completed a rotating internship in the Philippines. He undertook a second rotating internship at
McKeesport Hospital in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, followed by surgical residency training at
Huron Hospital and Lutheran Medical Center, both in Cleveland. He held a staff position at
Cleveland’s Saint John Hospital from 1970 to 1973 and then relocated to Nelsonville, where he
practiced until retirement.
Ora Otis Fordyce, M.D. (1877–1959), was born and raised in West Virginia and in 1905
graduated from Ohio Medical University of Columbus, Ohio. He interned for a year at the
Protestant Hospital of Columbus before becoming an assistant physician at the Athens State
Hospital in 1906. He was appointed superintendent of the hospital in June 1909 after eight
months’ service as assistant superintendent. He continued in this position until 1919, when he
was transferred to the Toledo State Hospital and served as superintendent there until 1946,
when he retired.
Aldena “Dena” Lucile Stanley Frey (1902–1985) was born in Harrisonville, Meigs County,
Ohio, the eldest daughter of Edward Isaac Stanley, M.D., and Adda R. Cable Stanley. A
graduate of Ohio University, she taught school in Coolville, Ohio. She married Carl Adam Frey, a
professor at Ohio University, in 1921, and raised four children, Carl S. “Ted” Frey, William H.
Frey, Carol Jean Frey Cooley and Robert Lee Frey. She was an active member of the First
Presbyterian Church in Athens, where she also served as elder.
Robert “Rob” Lee Frey (1944– ) was born in Athens and graduated from Athens High School
in 1962. He graduated from Ohio University with a B.S. in zoology in 1966. After a year of
graduate studies in microbiology at the University of Tennessee, where he met his future wife,
Frances Thomas, he transferred to Mount Carmel Hospital (Columbus, Ohio) in 1968 to finish a
degree in medical technology. After working in the laboratory of Good Samaritan Hospital in
Zanesville, Ohio, he moved back to Athens in 1969, where he has been associated with the
Athens Medical Laboratory ever since.
Charles Hagerman Fulks (1921– ) was born in Canton, Ohio, and raised in Dunkirk, Ohio. He
graduated from Ohio University with a bachelor’s degree in science in 1943 and then enlisted in
the U.S. Army. After attending a laboratory school in Hot Springs, Arkansas, he headed the
microbiology department of a 1,700-bed military hospital for POWs in Okmulgee, Oklahoma.
Returning to Ohio University for graduate school in 1946, he was hired as laboratory
technologist for Athens’ Sheltering Arms Hospital by Carl Frey. Ph.D. There, Blaine Goldsberry,
M.D., additionally trained him as the hospital’s first radiology technologist. In 1957 Fulks founded
the Athens Medical Laboratory, an independent business, while concurrently working at
Sheltering Arms, which eventually closed in 1970. In his eighties he still works part-time in the
field of laboratory medicine.
Joel Edmund Kaiser, M.S., R.N. (1946– ), was born in Lakewood, Ohio. He earned a
bachelor’s degree in agricultural economics at Ohio State University in 1969. As an army medic
he worked in the emergency department of Longstuhl Hospital in Germany and while stationed in
San Francisco he treated children arriving via the “Viet Nam Baby Lift.” He earned an M.A. in
guidance counseling from Ball State University in 1981. After working as a licensed practical
nurse at Grant Hospital in Columbus, he assisted in the emergency department of Doctors
Hospital of Nelsonville and took further courses in nursing at Hocking College. After accepting a
position as director of nursing education at Doctors Hospital of Nelsonville in 1982 he became
director of nursing in 1983 and served in this capacity until 1999 and again in 2004. From 1998
to 2004 he was the hospital’s chief executive officer.
Philip David Kinnard, M.D. (1932– ), was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio. He graduated from Ohio
University with an A.B. in 1954 and from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1958.
After an internship at Cincinnati General Hospital, he completed residency training in general
surgery at the Henry Ford Hospital of Detroit in 1963. He spent the next two years in the U.S. Air
Force, serving first as chief of surgery at Forbes Air Force Base in Topeka, Kansas, and then as
chief of surgery at Whiteman Air Force Base near Knob Noster, Missouri. While in the air force
he earned certification from the American Board of Surgery. In 1965 he opened a practice of
surgery and general medicine in Athens. During his 34 years of private practice, he performed
surgeries at Sheltering Arms and O’Bleness Memorial Hospitals in Athens, Mount St. Mary
Hospital in Nelsonville and Veterans Memorial Hospital in Pomeroy. He was awarded fellowship in
the American College of Surgeons. His activities in Athens also included serving as Athens
County health commissioner, medical advisor to the first hospice agency formed in Athens,
medical advisor to the Athens unit of the American Cancer Society, surgical consultant to the
Student Health Services of Ohio University and surgical consultant to the Athens State Hospital.
He served as chairman of the Sheltering Arms Board of Trustees from 1985 to 1989. He retired
from active practice in 1999 and divides his retirement between homes in Florida and North
John Frederick Kroner Jr., M.D. (1936– ), was born in Youngstown, Ohio. He graduated from
Ohio University with a B.S. in zoology in 1958. He graduated from Loyola University School of
Medicine (Maywood, Illinois) in 1962 and served both his internship and his residency in
obstetrics and gynecology at the St. Elizabeth Hospital in Youngstown. In 1966 he entered the U.
S. Air Force and became both a captain and the chief of obstetrics and gynecology at the
Headquarters 354th Tactical Hospital, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in South Carolina. In 1968
he returned to Athens and set up a private practice in obstetrics and gynecology. During most of
his professional career, he has been affiliated with the Ohio State Medical Association, and was
president of the association in 1996 and 1997. He served as team physician for Athens High
School. He also organized and oversaw annual physical examinations for the county’s student-
athletes, and established an annual Golden Bulldog Award for Athens football players who made
all-around contributions to the team. In 2000 he was appointed as the first medical staff liaison at
O’Bleness Memorial Hospital, and still serves in that capacity.
Patricia Parsons Light, M.S. (1933– ), was born in Eagle Grove, Iowa. She graduated from
Cornell College with a B.A. in 1957 and from Ohio University with an M.S. in journalism in 1978.
She is the mother of three sons, and since 1967 has lived in or near Athens, Ohio, where her
late husband was associated with Ohio University. For several years she was a public relations
consultant for the Corporation for Ohio Appalachian Development Senior Nutrition Program,
leaving that position in 1980 to become associate editor of Suzuki World magazine. She was
employed as a guardian ad Litem for the Athens County Domestic Relations Court from 1996 to
2004. She was president of the Athens League of Women Voters from 1970 to 1972 and was
elected to the Athens City Schools Board of Education, serving from 1973 to 1982. Currently
she is a member of the Hocking College Board of Trustees. She composes music and plays in a
Robert Emerson Main, M.D. (1915– ), was born in Delaware, Ohio, and married Mary
Bernadine Sprague in 1936. He graduated from Ohio University with a B.S. in 1939 and from the
Ohio State University College of Medicine in 1943. He interned at St. Albans Naval Hospital and
St. Vincent’s Hospital in New York, served in the U.S. Navy (and was aboard the first ship to
enter Japan after the armistice) and then returned to Athens, where he practiced until retirement
in 1995. He was health commissioner of Athens County from 1982 to 1995 in which capacity he
lobbied vigorously against smoking in public places. He resides in Dublin, Ohio.
Everett Dale Mattmiller, M.D. (1926– ), was born in Mishawaka, Indiana. He attended Indiana
University and the University of Notre Dame in premedical studies and graduated from the
Indiana University School of Medicine in 1949. He interned at Iowa Methodist Hospital in Des
Moines. Following his internship, Dr. Mattmiller, a veteran of World War II, served in the Korean
conflict as a medical officer aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Philippine Sea. He was in private
practice in Avilla, Indiana, from 1952 until 1963, when he joined Ohio University’s medical staff.
He was director of the university’s Student Health Services from 1964 to 1982.
Frank Wayne Myers, D.O. (1933– ), was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He graduated from
the University of South Dakota with a B.S. in zoology in 1955 and from the College of
Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1959. He trained at Brentwood
Hospital (now South Point Hospital) in a suburb of Cleveland, and began a general practice of
medicine near the hospital in 1960. In 1972 Dr. Myers helped establish one of the first
osteopathic family practice residencies in the country, and in 1973 he was co-recipient of the
General Practitioner of the Year award, conferred by the Ohio State Society of the American
College of General Practitioners in Osteopathic Medicine. In 1975 he was appointed associate
dean of clinical affairs in the newly established Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine,
and from 1977 to 1993 he served as the college’s first permanent dean. From 1983 to 1998 he
was the voice of Family Health®, a two-and-a-half-minute radio show heard daily on
approximately 300 stations nationwide. Retired from active practice, he still resides in Athens.
Gordon Fern Ogram, M.D. (1921–2005), was born in Youngstown and graduated from
Wittenberg College with a B.A. in 1943. He served as a navy lieutenant in the South Pacific until
discharge in 1946. He graduated from the Ohio State University College of Medicine in 1950.
After an internship in Detroit he received residency training at the Columbus State Hospital from
1951 to 1953 and at the University Hospitals of Cleveland in 1955 and 1956. He completed a
fellowship in child psychiatry at Western Reserve University in 1957. He was superintendent of
the Athens State Hospital from 1964 to 1967, subsequently becoming assistant commissioner of
the Division of Mental Hygiene from 1967 to 1972, deputy commissioner of the Division of Mental
Hygiene in 1972, and commissioner of the Division of Mental Hygiene from 1972 to 1976. Then
he served as medical director at Tiffin State Hospital until 1979. Before retiring completely in
1986, he worked as a consultant to several community mental health clinics and to the Tiffin
institution, which had become a facility for mentally retarded clients only.
Paul Theodore Omelsky, M.D. (1943– ), was born in Dresden, Germany, escaping with his
family shortly before the Allies fire-bombed the city. In 1952 his family immigrated to the U.S. and
lived in New York City. In 1956 they moved to Athens, Ohio, where both parents worked as staff
physicians at the Athens State Hospital. After graduating from Athens High School in 1961, he
completed premedical studies at Ohio University with a B.S. in zoology in 1965. He graduated
from the Ohio State University School of Medicine in 1968. He served a rotating internship at Mt.
Carmel Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, and then spent two years in the U.S. Army, including one
year at Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland, and one year at the Fort Hayes Induction Center in
Columbus, Ohio. After a residency in general psychiatry at Case Western Reserve University, he
went into private practice and was director of psychiatry at St. Vincent Charity Hospital in
Cleveland. He completed a residency in child and adolescent psychiatry at CWRU in 1987 and
was a full-time faculty member in the Division of Child Psychiatry in CWRU’s Department of
Psychiatry from 1990 to 1994. Since 1994 he has worked for the Ohio Department of Mental
Health in an agency that serves children and their families in several counties surrounding
Michel Serge Perdreau, M.L.S. (1947– ), was born in La Celle St.-Avant, France. He
immigrated to the U.S. in 1968 to study at Ohio University and graduated with a degree in
business administration in 1975. In 1980 he earned his master’s degree from Kent State
University. He served in various positions at Ohio University’s Alden Library prior to accepting
the directorship of the Ohio University Southern Campus Library in 1986. He received Fulbright
appointments in France and Haiti and engaged in international librarianship in China, Russia,
India, Venezuela and Holland. In the 1990s he shifted his professional emphasis to prison
librarianship and retired as library administrator of the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and
Correction in 2002.
Kerry Edwin Ragg, D.O., Ph.D. (1944– ), was born in Waitang, New Zealand. He graduated
from the University of Otago (Dunedin, New Zealand) with a B.S. in physical education in 1967.
He graduated from Ohio University with an M.S. in physical education in 1970 and from Ohio
State University with a Ph.D. in physiology in 1972. He became a charter member of the basic
science faculty for the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1976, hired as an
assistant professor of physiology. After four years of teaching, he was accepted as an entering
medical student at OUCOM and graduated in 1984. He received internship training at the
Youngstown Osteopathic Hospital and in 1985 began a solo practice of family medicine in The
Plains, Ohio. In 1988 he accepted a position as staff physician in the Student Health Services of
Ohio University and also served as a full adjunct professor of family medicine at OUCOM. He
retired in June 2005 because of health problems. During his career he initiated Ohio University’s
Adult Fitness Program. He also earned certification in sports medicine and served as team
physician at Athens High School.
Geneva “Jenny” Lucille Riley, R.N. (1935– ), was born in Athens and graduated from Athens
High School in 1953. She attended the Holzer Hospital School of Nursing in Gallipolis, Ohio, and,
after completion of clinical training at the University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati General
Hospitals, earned her nursing degree with honors in 1955. In 1959, following nursing jobs in
numerous U.S. hospitals, she started work at the Sheltering Arms Hospital in Athens, where she
held various positions before becoming director of nursing in 1970. When Sheltering Arms
closed and O’Bleness Memorial Hospital opened later that year, she became the new hospital’s
first director of nursing, but in 1971 left that position to become nurse-administrator of the
medical/surgical unit of the Athens State Hospital. She served as director of nursing at the state
hospital from 1975 to 1993 which included the hospital’s transition into a new building north of
the Hocking River. While serving as assistant to the chief clinical officer in 1993 and 1994, she
wrote a new set of rules and regulations that became a statewide model. She was recognized by
the governor of Ohio as an outstanding director of nursing and served on the governor’s task
force to define mental illness. She retired in 1994.
Floyd Harvey Sarff, M.A., LL.B. (1934– ), was an honors graduate of the Army Medical
Services School and served in Landstuhl, Germany, from 1955 to 1957. He graduated from
Loras College (Dubuque, Iowa) with a B.A. in 1960, from the University of Iowa with an M.A. in
social work in 1963 and from the LaSalle Extension University (Chicago) with an LL.B. in law in
1975. His diverse career included positions as sociologist in the Iowa State Penitentiary, clinical
social worker in the V.A. Center of Des Moines, Iowa, coordinator of the Catholic Student Center
at Drake University, founder and editor of the Journal of Iowa Social Work and director of
psychiatric community services at the University of Iowa. Following his work as superintendent of
the Athens State Hospital from 1975 to 1977, he held positions in the Ohio Department of Mental
Health as special programs administrator, client advocate, litigation coordinator and
administrative rules coordinator. He retired in 1999.
Edward “Ted” Allen Sprague, M.D. (1920– ), was born in Athens and attended Notre Dame
University for two years before completing his undergraduate education at Ohio University. After
graduating from Ohio State University College of Medicine in 1944, he interned at St. Albans
Naval Hospital in New York and then served aboard a destroyer in the Pacific for twelve months.
He began practice and a surgical preceptorship under his father in 1946, but was again called
for service as a naval medical officer for 18 months during the Korean War. He returned to
Athens in 1954 and remained medically active into his eighties, retiring in 2003. In his career he
performed 6,000 deliveries, including those of children of prior deliveries.
Chester Parker Swett, M.D. (1902–1986), was born in Albany, Ohio, and graduated from
Albany High School in 1919. After two years of study at Ohio University, he was accepted for
admission to the Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, from
which he graduated in 1925. After completing an internship in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, he
trained at sanatoriums in South Mountain, Pennsylvania; Verona, New Jersey; and Troy, New
York. In 1934 he returned to Ohio and opened an office for the general practice of medicine in
Logan, where he was appointed as the city’s commissioner of health in 1935. In 1944 he moved
his practice to Lancaster where he practiced until his retirement in the mid-1970s. He was buried
in the Hebbardsville Cemetery of Athens County, which is where the subject of his essay, Dr.
Kossuth T. Crossen, had been interred 68 years earlier.
John “Jack” Leroy Vickers, B.S., R.Ph. (1931– ), was born in Athens and graduated from
Athens High School in 1949. After a year of study at Ohio University, he attended the Cincinnati
College of Pharmacy, which, by the time he graduated in 1955, was known as the University of
Cincinnati College of Pharmacy. After serving in the U.S. Army from 1955 to 1957 he returned to
Athens, his base for the remainder of his professional career. He worked at Cline’s Pharmacy,
Medical Center Pharmacy and the Athens State Hospital. In addition, he was a partner in a
business that owned five pharmacies and also provided services to three hospitals. He retired
from practice in 1997 and still resides locally.
Peter Hermann Joseph Wuscher (1965– ) was born in Uppsala, Sweden. He immigrated to
Manhattan, Kansas, in 1968 and moved to Athens City in 1981. He graduated from Tri County
Joint Vocational School in 1983, and subsequently attended Ohio University. He was co-founder
of the following recovery-oriented groups: Athens Dual Recovery Anonymous, Nelsonville’s “A
Place to Go” Peer Support Group and “Transcenders” Schizophrenia Support Group. He was
one of three initial Athens-area instructors for the BRIDGES education and support program,
and has been a member of the board of directors for the Athens-area chapter of the National
Alliance for the Mentally Ill, the local jail diversion program and the Recovery Education
Resources Outreach Center. In 1999 he was named as Athens County’s Mental Health Advocate
of the Year, and in 2000 he created the “Walk the Walk” annual event for mental health
awareness and support. He is also interested in music as a multi-instrumentalist and songwriter.